Sunday, June 13, 2010

Back in the Kitchen for Jerk Lamb Chops and Coconut French Toast


It 's Sunday and we I tried two other dishes from "Morgan Freeman and Friends' on Thursday and Saturday.
Thursday, I was a little more ambitious and I tried a recipe from St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, from Chef Conny Anderson of Los Angeles. The meal consisted of Jerk Lamb Chops, red beans, coconut rice, with tamarind glaze, and fried plantains (page 112 of the book). See photo on the outcome. As I noted the other day, the meal was served to Morgan Freeman and Tim Robbins. I served this same meals to the Dr. Mayling Simpson-Hebert, renowned anthropologist and global health advisor (and my wife).

The word jerk refers to the seasoning blend, the cooking method (not to the cook), and to the meat that has been treated to the jerk seasoning and cooking processes.

Jerk was first created by the Arawak Indians, the original natives of Jamaica and other Caribbean Islands. The liberal amounts of spices and peppers helped preserve meats in the island heat, as did drying them over an open fire. The term "jerk" is thought to derive from the Spanish term charqui, which means dried meat. The word can also refer to the jerking motion of turning the meat as it roasts over the fire.

There are any number of recipes for jerk seasoning, and many have an ingredient list a mile long. Jamaican food lovers agree that there are three jerk spice ingredients that are key: allspice, Scotch bonnet peppers, and thyme.

This recipe uses the typical jerk spices, in a marinade for the pork chops. The marinade was incredible and serves as the best barbecue sauce I have ever tried. I had to substitute local (kenyan) hot peppers for the scotch bonnet peppers, but all other fresh and dried ingredients were available. "Prime Cuts" specially cut double rib lamb chops for me, and I was able to find plantains, which in Kenya are used mainly for making "Matoke", a traditional dish where the plantains are cooked, smashed and served like mashed potatoes with meat. I made a tamarind glaze, which was the most challenging of all to prepare. No problem finding tamarind sauce, which with dice shallot, dark rum, vinegar and sugar, were the main ingredients. Trying to strain the cooked glaze through a strainer was the biggest challenge.

The meal turned out great, but we could have used a couple more chops as the meat was a bit scarce on the ribs. I would buy single ribbed chops next time as they are easier to judge in getting them cooked throughout.

I stayed out of the kitchen on Friday, since I met Mayling for lunch and we couldn't even comtemplate having a full dinner.

On Saturday, I decided to try Coconut French Toast

from Ludo Jarland, Executive Chef of the Restaurant at the Cove, Eluthera, Bahamas (page 27 of the Book). This was a simple though very heavy on the calories. I did substitute low fat milk for heavy cream, which probably reduced the calories per slice from 500 to 450. The recipe is fairly standard for French toast, but calls for shredded coconut in the egg, milk, cinnamon, sugar dip for the bread. I also used homemade whole wheat bread instead of white bread. After cooking on a skillet, the french toast is served with toasted shredded coconut sprinkled on top with maple syrup. Delicious!


No comments: